About Us

The Canadian Child Welfare Research Portal (CWRP) provides access to up-to-date research on Canadian child welfare programs and policies. The Portal is a partnership supported by the McGill Centre for Research on Children and Families (CRCF), the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work at the University of Toronto, the Faculty of Social Work at the University of Calgary, PART (Practice and Research Together) and PolicyWise for Children and Families.

Originally developed through the Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare (CECW), the Portal continues to maintain links with the Child Welfare League of Canada (CWLC), the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society, and other groups and organizations that collaborated with the CECW.

The Portal is designed to provide child welfare professionals, researchers, and the general public with a single point of access to Canadian child welfare research, i.e. research on abused and neglected children and on the programs and policies developed to support and protect these children and to support their families. The Portal includes a searchable data base of Canadian research publications, a data base of Canadian researchers, and information and statistics about provincial, territorial, aboriginal and national child welfare policies, legislation and programs.

The Canadian Child Welfare Research Portal does not advise on, intervene in, or provide child welfare services.

The suspected abuse or neglect of a child must be reported to:

  • local child welfare services (e.g., children’s aid society or child and family services agency)
  • provincial/territorial social service ministries or departments
  • local police.

Complaints about individual child welfare or child protection services should be directed to:

  • the child welfare agency providing the services
  • the provincial/territorial children’s advocate

Provincial/Territorial Assistance