This book is the second joint publication of the Prairie Child Welfare Consortium (PCWC) and the Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare (CECW). The chapters in the book represent a selection of some of the excellent presentations made at the Prairie Child Welfare Consortium’s fourth bi-annual symposium, Passion for Action: Building on Strength and Innovative Changes in Child and Family Services, held in Regina, Saskatchewan, on September 12-14, 2007. Consistent with the mandates of both the PCWC and the CECW, this book is intended to convey the work of presenters who were able to dedicate time and energy to the hard task of presenting their experiences, ideas, and research in print form for publication purposes.
Passion for Action in Child and Family Services: Voices from the Prairies may also be downloaded free of charge from cat.uregina.ca/spr/ or may be reprinted or copied, in whole or in part, for educational, service, or research purpose, without consent. For all other purposes, individuals should contact Canadian Plains Research Centre.
Individual chapters may be opened below:
- Table of Contents
- Introduction: Voices of Passion, Voices of Hope
- Chapter 1: Passion within the First Nations Social Work Profession
- Chapter 2: Passion, Action, Strength and Innovative Change: The Experience of the Saskatchewan Children’s Advocate’s Office in Establishing Rights-based “Children and Youth First” Principles
- Chapter 3: From Longing to Belonging: Attachment Theory, Connectedness, and Indigenous Children in Canada
- Chapter 4: Jumping through Hoops: A Manitoba Study Examining Experiences and Reflections of Aboriginal Mothers Involved with Child Welfare in Manitoba
- Chapter 5: Rehearsing with Reality: Exploring Health Issues with Aboriginal Youth through Drama
- Chapter 6: Making the Connection: Strategies for Working with High-risk Youth
- Chapter 7: The Moving Forward Project: Working with Refugee Children, Youth and Their Families
- Chapter 8: Passion for Those Who Care: What Foster Carers Need
- Chapter 9: Children with FASD Involved with the Manitoba Child Welfare System: The Need for Passionate Action
- Chapter 10: Physical Punishment in Childhood: A Human Rights and Child Protection Issue
- Chapter 11: Complex Poverty and Home-grown Solutions in Two Prairie Cities